Use the Visual Studio debugger to quickly find and fix bugs across languages. The Visual Studio for Mac debugger lets you step inside your code by setting Breakpoints, Step Over statements, Step Into and Out of functions, and inspect the current state of the code. Im new to the forums and Im about to buy a MacBook Pro in a few days, but I was wonderings if there is a way to run 'Microsoft Visual Studio 2005' on that Mac. I need it for school. Im so sick of all the microsoft products and stuff so thats why Im buying a Mac. But I will still need that stupid 'Microsoft Visual Studio 2005'. OS X 10.10.5 is being released to the public after two developer betas and one month of testing. The OS X 10.10.5 update can be downloaded through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store.
Installing VS for Mac in Mac OS 10.10.5. Baronchng US Member July 2017 in Visual Studio. The requirement says 10.11 which is El Capitan and above. Mac OS X Leopard (version 10.5) is the sixth major release of macOS, Apple's desktop and server operating system for Macintosh computers. Leopard was released on October 26, 2007 as the successor of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, and is available in two editions: a desktop version suitable for personal computers, and a server version, Mac OS X Server.-->
Find answers to your technical questions about .NET. New to Q&A? See our Get started article below.
Get started with Q&A
.NET 5 & 6
App & Web Development
Design, develop, and deploy applications with .NET across web, desktop, mobile, and more.
Windows Server IIS
Languages, Data and more
Leverage languages, libraries, and more when building apps with .NET.
Machine Learning & AI
Acquisition and Deployment
Developer Community System Requirements Compatibility Distributable Code Documentation Blogs Servicing
Get the Preview
Visual Studio For Mac Free
Get the Preview of Visual Studio 2019 for Mac by updating to the Preview channel.
This release is not 'go-live' and not intended for use on production computers or for creating production code.
To learn more about Visual Studio for Mac, see Mac System Requirementsand Mac Platform Targeting and Compatibility.
To learn more about other related downloads, see the Downloads page.
What's New in 8.10 Preview
Visual Studio 2019 for Mac version 8.10 Preview Releases
- May 26, 2021 – Visual Studio 2019 for Mac version 8.10 Preview 5
- May 18, 2021 – Visual Studio 2019 for Mac version 8.10 Preview 4
- May 11, 2021 – Visual Studio 2019 for Mac version 8.10 Preview 3
- May 4, 2021 – Visual Studio 2019 for Mac version 8.10 Preview 2.2
- April 22, 2021 – Visual Studio 2019 for Mac version 8.10 Preview 2.1
- April 14, 2021 – Visual Studio 2019 for Mac version 8.10 Preview 2
- March 2, 2021 – Visual Studio 2019 for Mac version 8.10 Preview 1
Refer to the Known Issues section.
Feedback & Suggestions
We would love to hear from you! You can report a problem through the Report a Problem option in Visual Studio for Mac IDE.You can track your feedback, including suggestions, in the Developer Community portal.
Visual Studio 2019 for Mac version 8.10 Preview 5 (18.104.22.1682)
released May 26, 2021
- We fixed a handful of reliability issues that were discovered in the previous preview release.
- We fixed a breaking change in AudioUnitPropertyIDType.
Visual Studio 2019 for Mac version 8.10 Preview 4 (22.214.171.1249)
released May 18, 2021
- We have fixed several reliability issues.
Web and Azure
- We have fixed an issue where creating .NET Core projects was failing when .NET 6 Preview 4 was installed.
Visual Studio 2019 for Mac version 8.10 Preview 3 (126.96.36.1990)
released May 11, 2021
- We have fixed several performance issues.
- We updated Mono to 188.8.131.52 addressing an issue on Big Sur which has caused Visual Studio for Mac hangs.
Web and Azure
- We updated .NET Core SDKs to 5.0.203 and 3.1.409 addressing CVE-2021-31204.
- We have updated Xamarin.Forms templates.
Visual Studio 2019 for Mac version 8.10 Preview 2.2 (184.108.40.2067)
released May 4, 2021
- We fixed fixed several reliability and performance issues.
- We improved overall memory consumption and performance when working with large solutions.
- We fixed an issue where unsaved code changes were not saved when debugging was started (F5).
Shell and Tools
- We fixed an issue where file tab tooltips were not shown.
- We fixed an issue where the integrated terminal window was not cleared when running an app again.
- We have enabled
dotnet newproject template support by default.
- We fixed an issue where Search and Replace buttons were disabled in Find in Files when a solution was selected.
Source Code Editing
- We have removed the obsolete 'Interpret tab keystroke as reindent command' setting which is not supported by the native editor.
- We fixed an issue where Unit tests were not running when used in nested classes.
Visual Studio 2019 for Mac version 8.10 Preview 2.1 (220.127.116.116)
released April 22, 2021
- We fixed several reliability issues that surfaced when working with Xamarin.Forms projects.
- We fixed an issue where XAML Hot Reload changes were not synchronized with the device.
- We updated the Xamarin.iOS SDK to 18.104.22.168.
Visual Studio 2019 for Mac version 8.10 Preview 2 (22.214.171.1247)
released April 14, 2021
- We fixed an issue where the Call Stack tool window wouldn't show external code.
- We updated MSBuild to 16.9.0.
Shell and Tools
- The NuGet Package Manager is now using native Cocoa UI.
- We fixed an issue where $(SolutionDir) was not defined when restoring large solutions.
- We fixed an issue where PackageReferences were updated unexpectedly.
- We added support for the
- We updated NuGet to 5.9.
- We fixed an issue where the code formatting of new .NET Core projects was not consistent.
- We added support for solution templates provided by
Source Code Editing
- We added support for F# 5.0.
- We fixed an issue where F# 4.7 language features didn't work.
- We fixed an issue where sending F# code to the F# Interactive tool window failed with an error.
- We fixed several issues with the new Quick Fixes UI (preview feature).
Visual Studio 2019 for Mac version 8.10 Preview 1 (126.96.36.1997)
released March 2, 2021
- We fixed several reliability issues.
- We updated Mono to 188.8.131.52, addressing CVE-2021-24112.
The following is a list of all existing known issues in Visual Studio 2019 for Mac version 8.10:
- Under certain conditions, a 'System.EntryPointNotFoundException' exception appears when deploying Xamarin.Forms projects to iOS device. We're currently working on a fix which will be released shortly.
- After installing the latest .NET 5 SDK, developers of .NET Core 3.1 apps might see an error indicating 'The ASP.NET Core developer certificate is in an invalid state.'. Running
dotnet dev-certs https --cleanthen
dotnet dev-certs https --trustfrom the Terminal will fix the issue.
- In rare cases, it's possible to be up to date with everything but the .NET Core 3.1.300 SDK. If you enter into this configuration and update to .NET Core 3.1.300 using the updater, the notification to update the .NET Core SDK will not disappear until the IDE is restarted.
- On Big Sur gRPC projects may fail to build with an error
protoc' exited with code 255. This is a problem with macOS platform detection in the gRPC.Tools NuGet package that is used by default in the project templates. A workaround is to update the gRPC.Tools NuGet package to version 2.34.0 or later.
- In some cases, Android projects may fail to build with an error
The Java SDK could not be found, please set the path to it in the Xamarin.Android SDKs settings panel. A workaround is to execute the following command in a Terminal:
mkdir -p ~/Library/Android/sdk.